According to archaeologists, the origins of Verlaine are distant, with remains from Magdalenian, Neolithic and Roman eras having been excavated.
"Versinnes" has been recognised since 811 as one of the properties of Stavelot Abbey while the charter of 1198 cites "Velennes".
The village belonged successively to the de Hamal, de Vilhain, de Harre families and at the beginning of the 16th century, momentarily to the Spanish government.
Verlaine is located in the province of Liège, 13 km away from Huy and the same distance to Waremme. Its average altitude is 175 m.
Its clay and sandy soil, irrigated by the Yerne, Texlourewe and Pexheurewe made it for a very long time a town in which farming and fruit growing activities were the way of life for its inhabitants, trade was particularly active in the agro-food sector.
The merger of the towns in 1977 saw Chapon-Seraing and Seraing-le-Château, still autonomous, unite their destiny to that of Verlaine, while Bodegnée, separated from Jehay with which it was then associated, and came to complete the Verlaine municipality.
This has developed well over the years. Its inhabitants and many village associations benefit from the cultural and sporting infrastructure, such as the wonderful, modern sports hall, football pitches and rooms facilitating various activities.
Verlaine is a warm and friendly town, proud of its heritage, well worth exploring or revisiting with the walking routes created by members of the P.C.D.N. A folder including 8 roadbooks is available from the Town Administrative Office.
Walkers will have every opportunity to re-energise, quench their thirst for exploration and stroll along the Verlaine trails, enjoying the environment, meeting artisans and traders, who no doubt encourage visitors to extend their stay and enjoy the wonderful welcome at the guest rooms available.